Just admit it.
One of the main reasons you are even interested in Ecuador is because you want to improve your lifestyle while at the same time lower your cost of living.
At least the possibility of such intrigues you.
Well, here are my hand-picked top 7 best-value hotels in Ecuador. Bargain, nice places that should charge a lot more than they are.
Places where you can feel pampered and pay a small fraction of the cost you would back home.
But most of these aren´t easy to find nor easy to book beforehand (many of them don´t even have websites!)
Maybe these aren´t the cheapest choices out there, but they are the best bang for your buck in their given area. Here goes…
7. Hotel Prado Internacional (Loja, Ecuador). This hotel conveniently located right on the other side of the river from the old town in Loja is a four star quality hotel at two star prices. There is an elevator, an elegant, open full time yet often empty rooftop restaurant with amazing food (try the bacon-rapped Filet Mignon in mushroom sauce for $6), a very friendly staff headed by the owner, Lucia, who speaks English. The hot water is good, WIFI in room and the rooms are elaborately decorated. Can´t beat the value for price, singles start for $26/night and doubles start around $39/night.
6. Hotel Canoa Mar (Canoa, Ecuador). This hotel is right on the beach in Canoa within walking distance of the town center yet just far enough away not to hear the discos blaring music. The style of the hotel (laced with bamboo) is just what you´d expect from a hotel in the area. There is hot water, WIFI in room and each room has its own carefully thought-out design… all for $10 per person. I stay here when I´m in town.
5. Hotel Hugo´s Place (Montanita, Ecuador). One block from the beach and a girl´s throw from the center of town, this 2013 newly inaugurated hotel in the center of Montanita is hard to beat for the price. The rooms have a beautiful oceanview and are nicely finished with cement (to prevent noise and critters from entering), WIFI and hot water are available and rooms start at $10 per person ($12-15 on weekends).
4. Copalinga Nature Lodge (Zamora, Ecuador). No trip is complete to Ecuador without venturing into the Amazon, yet most eco-lodges (like Kapawi) charge upwards of a hundred dollars a night. Copalinga has beautiful cabins available right in the thick of the rainforest and within a short walk from the National Park Podocarpus. Amazing for bird watchers, as dozens of Hummigbirds often buzz around you as you dine for breakfast in the morning. Prices start around $23.50 per person for one of the older cabins available, newer more luxury ones are also available for about double the price. Worth every penny.
3. Posada del Rio (Cuenca, Ecuador). For me, the most stunning area of Cuenca is where the old town meets the Tomebamba river. Thats where I want to be whenever I go to Cuenca, plus you are right in the middle of everywhere you want to go. Built into a refurbished old colonial, just as you´d expect from Cuenca, the Posada del Rio is right along the river and several rooms have stunning views of the trickling brook. This is another lodging option with rooms much nicer than what you would expect they rent for, hot water, WIFI and room service is available. Rooms start around $15 per person.
2. Izhcayluma (Vilcabamba, Ecuador). As a hotel owner myself in Quito I have the chance to chat with travelers almost everyday, and almost everyone I talk to who has stayed in Izhcayluma has nothing but great things to say about it. Pamper yourself getting a treatment in the Spa, soak in the pool, horseback ride, bird watch, hike the trails through the green hills or even visit a sugar farm and watch the process of sugar making. The service is top notch, the grounds well maintained… single rooms with private bath start around $28, doubles $38, shared dorm beds are also available for $12 each. Hard to beat the value for your buck in Vilcabamba.
1. Hotel Gala (Baños, Ecuador). This hotel, mainly frequented by local Ecuadorian tourists, has gorgeous mountain views and is right on the edge of the quiant town of Baños. Its my pick whenever I´m in the area. The rooms are borderline luxury, some may even hint at four star quality, and are very spacious. The hot water is good and plentiful and the decoration is elaborate. You are also within walking distance of the town center and the spas in Baños. The only drawback is as of writing there is no WIFI, but sometimes its good to disconnect. All for bargain prices starting around $12 per person.
Got a suggestion for this list? Submit it here to the Q/A forum…
To see more bargain options in Ecuador please subscribe to my weekly Ecuador Insiders Newsletter below, you can unsubscribe at any time: