Want to get pumped for an upcoming trip (or move) to Latin America?
Sometimes there’s nothing better than a good movie to do the trick.
12. Yuniol – This hilarious Dominican film is based in Santo Domingo and really does a great job showing the cultural divide that separates the rich and poor in a typical Latin American culture and how the two sides interact and in this case how two college kids interact. Very entertaining.
11. Man on Fire – This Denzel Washington film gives a great look into one of Latin Americas less attractive sides, the kidnapping trade in Mexico. Still a great movie for the shots of Mexico.
10. Soñar no cuesta nada – This Colombian film gives an outstanding look into the corrupt side of Latin America (Colombia in particular) when a group of soldiers finds millions buried in the jungle. Good movie, a great peek into Colombian culture.
9. Get the Gringo – This newer Mel Gibson movie is a flick that shows the not-so-commonly-seen side of Mexico from the viewpoint of a gringo inside a jail in Mexico. Very good movie, highly recommend.
7. The Motorcycle Diaries – Hard not to get excited about South America when watching this film based on a trip Che Guevara took on motorcycle through South America in his youth. Played by one of the best, Gael Garcia, this film is another must.
6. María Llena Eres de Gracia – Another excellent Colombian film, this spot gives a very real, unique look into the world of a female drug runner in Colombia. No mistake about it, drugs have impacted Latin American culture and this film is a great preview.
5. Amores y perros – A Mexican film that is too graphic for most, this movie depicts the underground world of less affluent youth and dogfighting in Mexico. Still gives an interesting look into mexico Hollywood could never duplicate.
2. Captain Ron – Sincethis movie first came out 20 years ago, every time I watch it gets me excited for my next Latin American adventure. Based on a typical Chicago family caught in the rat-race who drop everythig to go sail the Caribbean in a crappy boat the father inherited from a little known uncle.
1. Blow – My all-time favorite movie with a Latin American connection. This Johny Depp movie is about an ambitious, North American entrepreneur and how he gets neck deep in the drug trade with Latin America. OK, so he chose the wrong product (drugs), but it’s still an entertaining and almost motivating flick for entrepreneurs going south of the border.
Like to keep reading more like this? For that please subscribe to my weekly Ecuador Insiders Newsletter below, you can unsubscribe at any time: