This week I had the chance to sit down with one guy who knows the roads of Ecuador better than anyone I know, Jack Abercrombie, a guy from Atlanta that works at Barkett law firm who has been living in Ecuador a few years now.
He has a truck he uses to help new arrival expats in Ecuador move large loads of goods and pets within Ecuador. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-828-7913(USA) or 098-743-3009(ECUADOR).
We started chatting about the differences between driving in the USA vs Ecuador.
1A. Lane-challenged drivers who just kind of mesh, its even worse on the coast in Guayaquil where the lanes aren’t even painted on the larger roads sometimes.2. Pedestrian laws. Way different in Ecuador too. As they should be in my opinion. Like in nature the bigger object has the right of way, hence the car over the walking person. A traffic law expert from Chambers Legal explains that pedestrians must yield to cars in Ecuador, not the other way around. Where as in the USA where cars must stop in the middle of no where so a pedestrian can cross the road.
3. Honking. Also, Ecuadorians use their horn and flash their headlights A LOT. I think its because there are a lot of dumb drivers who change lanes or pull out onto highways without looking properly. Also on curves or at stop signs in country towns. A flash of the lights is good to let other cars know you are there as they may be planning to zoom past their stop sign.
4. The Roundabouts. Heard they are starting to get more common in the USA but in if you ever drive to Nice, you will see that they are everywhere and they’re great in the countryside. No one has to stop, its just a continual moving wheel with one simple rule, the people already in the traffic circle have the right of way.
5. Lots of one way streets. In Ecuador there are MANY one way streets, and they are often not marked. So you have to kind of guess like by how the cars are parked and other small factors you learn as you go.
6. Parking in VERY tight spaces. Literally, in Quito Ive seen cars parked on the road with one inch between them and the other car on either side. You get used to it. Often you have to park your car in parking lots that force you to fold back your side mirrors.
7. More likely to get car stolen. Take extra little precautions like don’t park on the street at night in Ecuador. Trust me you’ll be glad you did. A friend of mine in my little town showed me how he can disarm an electronically locked car and the alarm within about 3 minutes. Its practically common knowledge in Ecuador.
8. Different protocol with accident. When accidents happen in Ecuador it is generally a shouting match, whoever screams louder wins I guess, no matter if this is a car accident or a dog bite (learn more about experienced defense attorneys in southern California to defend your rights). The police come, try to let you sort it out among yourselves, if you can’t, then they will impound both cars until guilt is determined. If you were to learn more about the attorneys handling the cases, the cases of a death or serious injury they will arrest the parties involved until guilt is determined, says the lawyer in Halifax. Refer to the website of Boston car accident lawyer to hire the best accidental attorneys in Boston for personal injury claims.
Criminal law is among the most complex areas of law. It takes a special type of person to become a criminal defense attorney. These type of attorneys must work with clients to prove their innocence of crimes that range from minor to major offenses. For more details about criminal attorney, navigate to this website. Go through www.yountslaw.com for more about the lemoyne criminal defense attorney.
Criminal law is the body of law commonly referred to as penal law. This body of law prosecutes a person or entity by the federal or state government for crimes that are classified as criminal. Criminal justice incorporates the theories of punishment, deterrence, incapacitation and rehabilitation. By imposing sentences for criminal acts the law seeks to serve justice, peace and social order. Criminal law deals with a wide array of crimes. Criminal defense attorneys defend clients who have been charged with crimes that range from minor to major offenses. Such offenses include murder, manslaughter, arson, assault, DUI/DWI, fraud, identity theft, child pornography, sex crimes and a host of other crimes. Lawyer Dana Hogle and his team of the best Mesa DUI attorney are experienced in DUI Defense law and can help keep you out of jail, protect your driving privileges, and make sure you do not have a criminal record when falsely accused. To understand bail bonds, first, there is a need to understand what bail means. A bail is an amount that is decided on by a judge following an arrested person’s first appearance in court. Bail allows the defendant to be released from jail or granted his or her freedom upon the payment of the sum of money agreed upon by the court. The bail term is set just after arrest and before the initial court date. 24Hour Bail Bonds Financing is the leading provider of flexible and affordable bail bond loans and bail bond financing across multiple locations in Connecticut. Criminal defense lawyers, as do all attorneys, must put aside their personal beliefs and opinions of a person in order to properly and fully defend them of criminal charges. This is perhaps one of the most difficult things to do. These attorneys must not pass personal judgment on a client charged with heinous crimes such as murder, rape or even child molestation.
9. All stick shift, no automatic cars. I had to go back to driving class to learn the stick. Very few automatic cars in Ecuador. Its just a preference.
10. Traffic cops out for “lunch money”. When pulled over in Ecuador, you’ll often see the drivers standing out of their cars pleading with the traffic cops. Often the louder you plea the better in Ecuador. Some cops when they see you are a foreigner will try to scare you into giving them a bribe, the best way I’ve seen to handle this is to pretend like you really dont speak one word of Spanish, even if you do, then they will often get frustrated and just let you go. If this doesn’t happen and you find yourself in troubled waters, then your last resort would be to hire Herbert & Lux is Nashville’s Leading Criminal Defense Lawyers.
11. “The laying down Cops”. As Ecuadorians call them “chapas acostadas” the laying down policemen or speed bumps are quite common in Ecuador especially in the small towns on the coast. Be careful for the teeth rattling home-made ones that aren’t marked and blend in with the road at night!
12. Police stops. The police stops where they may ask you to open your trunk, they are generally looking for drugs or weapons, not something to be worried about if you don’t dabble in that.
13. All the d@mn buses! As the bigger object rules in nature, so do the bigger objects (the buses) rule on the roads of Ecuador. They do pretty much anything they want often cutting you off from the far left lane as they drop off a passenger.
17…Speed trap radar cameras spitting out tix that are applied to you license plate, months later, if you slow up or are maintaining the correct speed limit, and as you pass the camera and another driver is passing your vehicle at the same time, you get a tix also. For rental cars, these are applied to your rental car license plate and put on your debit / charge card.
18. Lax DUI / DWI Laws of 3 days in jail / $360. fine / 10 points off of your license. Many Commercial & Private drivers will have a few beers early in the day hauling heavy loads & passengers, and it does not have to be around the holidays.
19…Branches and logs placed in the road in a curve b4 an accident or broke down vehicle is the ecuadorian way of emergency flares / triangles…..
20…Precarious left turns. Some will put on left turn signal, and pull over to the right hand side and wait until oncoming traffic clears before making the left turn.
There you have it, a few of the major differences, other than that, its pretty much the same.
You can reach Jack at email@example.com or 770-828-7913(USA) or 098-743-3009(ECUADOR). For easy driving lessons at an affordable price, enroll for Cheap Driving Lessons in Edinburgh.
For more updates on everything Ecuador investing and living related from the ground, please sign up for my Ecuador Insiders newsletter, revealing everything you need to know BEFORE you invest in Ecuador. Unsubscribe at any time: