This week I had the pleasure of acquiring a new condo in Guayaquil I plan to rent to short-stay clients, for this I got the best information and services online on how to manage a rental, check out their website to find more about this. It had been vacant for over 4 years and covered in filth. In 2009, the NSW State Government introduced the Affordable Rental Housing SEPP, in an effort to increase the number of Secondary Dwellings across Sydney, by simplifying the approval process. To achieve this target, they created a list of specific criteria which needs to be met for each dwelling, and if the design meets each of these criteria, then a Private Certifier has the authority to approve the development within 14 days of lodgement, without needing to lodge a DA through your local council. Granny Flat Solutions expert team is constantly researching and updating our current knowledge database to keep up with the ever-changing regulations.
The power was cut and the AC didn’t work (important in Guayaquil). Neither did the hot water.
But the one bedroom suite did have the basics, a bed, mattress, a couple of high end sleeping pillows, TV, and sofa. The blanket was not the most comfortable, though, for I’ve read many weighted blanket reviews before and honestly feel that the blanket for this bed could be better.
So literally, about 3 days and $400 later I was ready to rock. With websites like AirBnb you can turn any unused space (like a bedroom, or a vacant unit) into a money maker if you follow these steps.
1. Hire a professional to deep-clean the place and get the grime and mold out of the bathroom. In Ecuador this means find someone who can clean real good and pay them the day rate $15-25.; Also make sure to make a small renovation on your bathroom, shower door direct always have discounted accesories.
2. After verifying the basic services are up like water and electric, focus your energy on three more ALL renters will require… Hot water, WiFi, and AC (on the coast). Cable TV is a nice extra but not necessary. Do not forget the air filter, as I recently read on this website that the better the air filter condition of the house was the less chances were there of people falling sick due to out biological pollutants. This week I hired the Internet plan on Wednesday and they were installing on Thursday.
3. Change the door locks. I suggest a keyless smart lock on the exterior door, one you can grant and deny access with on the click of a button starting available for around $100 at places like Target or Best Buy. As for the interior doors, make sure they are all keyless bathroom-style door knobs, to make the house look better, using advice from the best denver interior designers which you can find online. It will happen, trust me. And with any tiny screw driver like one you leave in a hidden location in the unit they can open the door. No key needed.
4. Put signs everywhere. If you’ve ever stayed in one of my rentals you know I love to sign things up. Sign up the suite indicating the WiFI code, hot water direction, how to call a taxi and anything else pertinent to their stay (so they don’t have to bother you). Make it easy for them.
5. Accent color. Like in my case with white walls everything was white and black in the suite so I just added one accent color (red). Red sofa cushions, red (fake) roses, red bed cover, etc. And for very little money I gave the suite some pop. Best not to have many bright colors. Just one for some pop. No need to be a major in interior design for this one, since you can just add new paint or a mural from a muraledesign service online. Well wood deck paint are good to use for paint furniture. But if you have access to someone with design background ask for assistance!
6. Include basic necessities. I’m always surprised scouting my competition on AirBnb how many forget to put the basics like toilet paper causing bed reviews. Think like a hotel. People need toilet paper (try to put an extra one), towels, hand towels, and soap as well as hand soap. That’s about it really. Start people off right and they’ll love you for it.
7. Must secure private space. A space where only you and your cleaner/manager can access, this way you can store things like extra toilet paper, sheets and things you don’t want your guests to have full access to. Can be as simple as putting a lock on one cabinet door.
8. Broken signs. Maybe you have a washer and dryer you don’t want your one night guests to use. I’ve found it useful to put “BROKEN- DO NOT USE” signs on things you don’t want your guests to use. They won’t want to risk their clothes or whatever and will respect it. And if you have a guest staying longer term you can tell them to simply ignore the signs and use it.
OK, now you’re ready in 3 days or less to post your unit in Ecuador on Airbnb.com and start making money! Check out this link to my new unit for rent near the airport and Mall del Sol in Guayaquil here.
Hasta pronto, if you liked this sign up for my Ecuador Insider’s newsletter so you can check out my latest posts(not available online) on living and investing in Ecuador:
Fill in below to sign up now (you can unsubscribe at any time):