Police report needed for residency paperwork?




I have been “told” that to apply for residency in Ecuador that a person is required to obtain said person’s “Police report”. Is this true? If so, what government dept. does it need to come from (I’m a US citizen)? Thanks.


In: Ecuador Living Asked By: [22 Grey Star Level]
Answer #1

I´m currently trying to get my citizenship (I´m married to an Ecuadorian) and have had the same question about the ¨antecedentes penales¨. I was mostly confused because I don´t have any prior transgressions, thus I shouldn´t really have any police record.
It seems that you need to get the documentation from a sheriff´s dept where you have lived at some point of your life for at least a few years. At least, that is what I am doing (I contacted Santa Barbara County sheriff and they´re currently processing my info).
A couple years back I had obtained my Ecua residency. At that time I had been living in Ecuador for over two years as a volunteer and had a ¨police record¨, which I obtained from the ¨Policia de Migracion¨ office in Quito.
Hope I could help. Let us know how it goes.

Answers Answered By: misterjay26 [53 Blue Star Level]
Answer #2

Yes, you need a copy from your local city or county. Then you also need to take the report and have it apostiled. Sorry, I don’t know where to obtain an apostile ( similar to a notary ).

Answers Answered By: BruceFlemming [29 Green Star Level]
Answer #3

Yes, its true….for now. Things change rapidly here but that has been for a while now. Its a relatively easy thing to get done….go to your local police department and obtain an official document that states you are not a criminal and have no criminal record or cases pending against you. You can take that further if you want by doing an official finger print card and having the department of state to an official document but that is not necessary. You might need to get it apostilled by the Ecuadorian consulate before you come here. Your attorney should have all of this information to help you with this though unless you are doing this on your own.

Good luck.


Answers Answered By: LarryP [838 Orange Star Level]
Answer #4

What about translation of documents, I am asuming the have to be translated into spanish in Ecuador?

Answers Answered By: andyman [49 Green Star Level]
Answer #5

If the Ecuadorian officials accept a US apostille, I have done it here in the US. The document should first be notarized and then sent to the Secretary of State where you live in the US (usually the one that does apostille documents). He is certifying that the original notary is authorized and still licensed in the state to practice, not that the information in the document is truthful. Also, the signature of the original notary is checked against the state’s records. This is how it was explained to me.

This is used to send notarized documents internationally and most countries require it.

Answers Answered By: dorko [3 Grey Star Level]

Answer this Question

You must be Logged In to post an Answer.

Not a member yet? Sign Up Now »

Other Top Ecuador Sites

Star Points Scale

Earn points for Asking and Answering Questions!

Grey Sta Levelr [1 - 25 Grey Star Level]
Green Star Level [26 - 50 Green Star Level]
Blue Star Level [51 - 500 Blue Star Level]
Orange Star Level [501 - 5000 Orange Star Level]
Red Star Level [5001 - 25000 Red Star Level]
Black Star Level [25001+ Black Star Level]