Q&A Categories

Driving to Ecuador




Hi Dom! A few issues back you told a story a someone driving their RV down to Panama and taking a ferry to Cartegena, Colombia. Then driving through Colombia across the Ecuadorian border.

My question is how long of a visa does Ecuador give a vehicle that enters the country?

How long would it have to leave the country once the visa expires to receive another?

Also, what if the plates expire on the vehicle from the states? Would the police give you a hard time?

It almost seems like the rules are meant to protect the government from losing money on taxation of the sale rather than haveing a vehicle with proper regristration and visas.

Me and my family are planning to drive down in August but only if the truck we’re taking can stay with us indefintely. We are not planning to sale it once there, only use it as a personal vehicle.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.




In: Ecuador Living Asked By: [4 Grey Star Level]

Answer this Question

You must be Logged In to post an Answer.

Not a member yet? Sign Up Now »

Other Top Ecuador Sites

Quito Airport Hotel

Guayaquil Airport Hotel Domenick Buonamici

Star Points Scale

Earn points for Asking and Answering Questions!

Grey Sta Levelr [1 - 25 Grey Star Level]
Green Star Level [26 - 50 Green Star Level]
Blue Star Level [51 - 500 Blue Star Level]
Orange Star Level [501 - 5000 Orange Star Level]
Red Star Level [5001 - 25000 Red Star Level]
Black Star Level [25001+ Black Star Level]